A few weekends ago I was able to speak at a youth retreat for the students of Bethlehem. The theme of our retreat was "Hearts Ablaze." Thanks to all of you who prayed for us. Because I'm "under compulsion" to preach the gospel (words of Apostle Paul), and have precious few opportunities to do so this year, I would like to share with you an outline of the three messages from this retreat. If you have an opportunity to look at the passages, and see where the outlines come from, it should prove more helpful. "Open Thou mine eyes, that I may behold wonderous things from Thy Law." - Ps. 119:18
1. Hearts ablaze for the God of the Word - Isaiah 66:1-2
- God is Transcendent
- God is Self-Sufficient
- This Glorious God looks to the humble and contrite
- This Glorious God looks to those who tremble at His Word
2. Hearts ablaze to Obey the God of the Word - I Timothy 6:13-16
- Our Greatest Need is a Great View of God
- Our Motives for Obedience Matter
- God is: Omnipresent; Life-Giver; Initiator of Second Coming of Christ; Happy; Sovereign; King of kings; Lord of lords;
Alone possesses Immortality; Dwells in unapproachable light; No man has seen; No man can see; Owns Eternal
Dominion, Desires and Deserves Honor; Amen!
- Christ is: The One who testified the good confession before Pontius Pilate (sealing His doom for sinners!); Will appear
3. Hearts ablaze to Seek the God of the Word - Matthew 7:7-12
- Carefully reading our Bible is fuel for seeking God (active and passive words matter)!
- Man is totally depraved
- The Logic of Jesus
- God gives us Himself, which is our greatest need...so give others God!