Wednesday, March 01, 2006

And Thus I Aspired

Romans 15:20
"And thus I aspired to preach the gospel, not where Christ was already named, so that I would not build on another man's foundation."

I have been dwelling in Romans 15 lately wrestling with the details of God's call on Paul's life. I am intrigued greatly by the aspiration of Paul to go to the ends of the earth to proclaim the gospel. The statement "And thus" comes from three phrases Paul mentioin earlier in this passage.

1. because of the grace given me from God, to be a minister of Christ Jesus to the Gentiles. (vs. 15-16)

...and thus I aspire to preach the gospel

2. in Christ Jesus I have found reason for boasting in things pertaining to God. (v.17)

...and thus I aspire to preach the gospel

3. I will not presume to speak of anything except what Christ has accomplished through me (v.18)

...and thus I aspire to preach the gospel

The reason Paul aspired to go to the ends of the earth was in Christ Jesus. It wasn't adventure, curiousity, or the challenge of reaching the next major city or country, but Christ alone. May God give us the grace to find reason in Him to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ today.

1 comment:

Jordan Thomas said...

Amen Bryan! I thank God for the opportunity to make Christ known around His globe with you through the intentional efforts of Grace Church! Let's never cease to hold each other accountable to be radically nations focused...because of Christ's worth to be named among all peoples!