Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Questioning My Salvation - Introduction

My aim in this short three-part series (following this intro) is not to convince you that you are saved, but to help you battle biblically with life's most serious question... Does God know you? I meant to write it that way.

For years people have come to talk with me because they are struggling with assurance of their salvation. Many Christians, at some point or another, will wonder, "Am I the genuine article?" Some are, some are not.

To state the obvious, when you boil it all down, there are only two types of people who doubt their salvation.
  1. Non-Christians
  2. Christians
While it is of eternal consequence for you to know God (John 17:3), it is of even greater import to that God knows you (Matthew 7:21-23). Let me show you what I mean...

Matthew 7:21-23
21"Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22"Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' 23"And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'
Nahum 1:7
7The LORD is good,
A stronghold in the day of trouble,
And He knows those who take refuge in Him.
II Timothy 2:19
19Nevertheless, the firm foundation of God stands, having this seal, "The Lord knows those who are His," and, "Everyone who names the name of the Lord is to abstain from wickedness."
Galatians 4:9
9But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how is it that you turn back again to the weak and worthless elemental things, to which you desire to be enslaved all over again?
Matthew 25:12
12"But he answered, 'Truly I say to you, I do not know you.'
See what I mean? Apparently God knows some people and does not know others. But wait a minute! Doesn't God know everything and everyone? Yes! But the knowledge spoken of in these verses is a relational knowledge, like a Father to a child. There are many people (Matthew 7:14) whom God does not know as His child.

"Jesus loves me this I know," are lyrics from one of the most theologically rich songs I know. Even sweeter, in my estimation, would be the same song with inverted lyrics; "Jesus knows me, this I love!"

***Now for the question of the ages! How can you and I know if God knows us?
Answer here.
Coming Soon:
  • Questioning My Salavation - Part I - Why True Christians Doubt
  • Questioning My Salvation - Part II - Don't Ignore Doubt
  • Questioning My Salvation - Part III - Advice For All Doubters - Rest In Christ

No comments: