Tuesday, March 27, 2007

To Do Today: Breakfast With Family, Sup with Jesus

The following post is from Tim Challies' blog.


Robert Bruce

Here is Iain Murray writing on the death of the great Scottish preacher Robert Bruce:

Bruce was now some seventy-five years of age, his wife had been dead for several years and he was also ready for home. "I wonder why I am kept here so long," he would say to friends. The following year, while having breakfast, his daughter, Martha, was about to prepare him another egg when he said, "Hold, daughter, hold; my Master calleth me." He then asked that the house Bible, the Geneva Version, be brought. Unable himself to read it, he said, "Cast me up the 8th of Romans," and he began to recite much of the second half of the chapter until he came to the last two verses: "For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." "Set my finger on these words," he asked. "God be with you my children. I have breakfasted with you, and shall sup with my Lord Jesus this night. I die believing these words."
This was taken from A Scottish Christian Heritage

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Philippians 1:21
"For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."

When I read this post it reminded me of Paul's desire to be with Christ, but his understanding that it was not yet the Lord's desire. The Lord had more work for Paul that would glorify Christ's name. I wonder what Mr. Bruce did for the glory of God during that last year of his life when he did not understand why the Lord was keeping him alive.