Monday, July 17, 2006

Loving The City - Part I

This is the beginning of a series of meditations as I am trying to grow in my love for the city God has called me to reach (Memphis, TN). May the Lord help me as I attempt to look at my city through the eyes of God (Matthew 6:22-23). These are thoughts of a city-loving novice.

A Christian's Responsibility to his City
Based on Christ's Teaching in Luke 10:


Jesus Christ is Lord of Memphis, TN...and very few believe it. What should I do?

PRAY
like I believe the first half of the previous sentence and like I long to see the second half change.

The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; therefore beseech the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest. - Luke 10:2

TRUST the All-wise, All-loving, All-sufficient Christ Who is sending me here among these people in the this place at this time.

Go your ways; behold, I send you out as lambs in the midst of wolves. - Luke 10:3


FIND
men of peace.

And if a man of peace is there, your peace will rest upon him; but if not, it will return to you. - Luke 10:6


ADAPT
my practices (when necessary) to accomodate the non-faith-destroying practices of those I minster to in my city.

And whatever city you enter, and they receive you, eat what is set before you... - Luke 10:8

PERFORM a wholistic ministry to those in my city.

...heal those who are sick... - Luke 10:9


PROCLAIM
that Christ is King of all!

...Say to them, 'The Kingdom of God has come near to you.' - Luke 10:9


CALL
all men to repent and trust Christ!

Woe to you, [Memphis]! Woe to you, [Shelby County]! For if the miracles had been performed in Tyre and Sidon which occurred in you, they would have repented long ago, sitting in sackcloth and ashes. But it will be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon in the judgment, than for you. - Luke 10:13-14


GRIEVE & REST
knowing that those who reject me are not rejecting me, but God Almighty.

The one who listens to you listens to Me, and the one who rejects you rejects Me; and he who rejects Me rejects the One who sent Me. - Luke 10:16

No comments: